Posts

Darning

Image
I performed actual mending of fabric today! The 320 performed admirably with the special Darning & Embroidery Foot #161236. I found I had to have quite loose needle tension to avoid needle thread breakage, so had the machine set on 2. #161236 is an unusual darning foot: the long upper bar slots into the area where the lever to lift the foot operates - and essentially blocks the lever from being operated. You use a mini-lever near the top of the spring foot to raise and lower the toe to remove or place work.

I've never darned jeans before, I think I once darned socks on my mother's Pfaff, but that was a long time ago and nothing but a hazy memory. The jeans in the photo below had been reinforced with a fusible patch, which I zigzagged in place and then darned over. I'm sure it could have been a bit neater, but the result seems like it will give my husband's jeans life for a few more months.

I used fancy G├╝termann Sulky #4022 for my repair, as these premium cotton sp…

Machine: 1960 Singer 320K-2 Electric #2

Image
After several long weeks, my second 320K is finally here. My mother-in-law drove it up the coast for me, while on her latest Brisbane trip.  I was thrilled to see a zippered denim bag with feet and accessories -an unexpected bonus! I have replaced the original #173058 bobbin case with the modern modified version. The machine had a 15x1 needle fitted, but the bobbin case showed needle strikes. The modified bobbin case fits perfectly and the machine stitches like a dream!

There were the usual issues... unpleasant smells and  grime, but at least the machine wasn't dry, it had been well-oiled and well-used in its life.

I cleaned the body, tension assembly, feed dogs, and hook assembly in-situ, as I didn't want to upset the timing. Much energy was expended. I was happy to see the carbon brushes still have length of about 10mm.

I've never had multiple throat plates for a machine, and I didn't know I was getting any, so this was a nice surprise.
The two photos below show the …

Accomplishments and Failures

Image
For several weeks I have been wanting to complete a few important machine repair tasks, this week I started knocking them over at last:
Re-wire a better pedal for my 401G.Re-time my 320K after parts arrive from the UK.Schedule my Pfaff 1222E service. An additional task kept me busy last weekend when I finally found a 1980s Horn sewing cabinet locally for a good price. We brought the cabinet home and I set about cleaning every inch of it. It is in wonderful condition and has cleaned up like new. The hinges had some surface rust (very common - we live in a port city and sea air affects everything), but I lightly brushed some sewing machine oil onto them. The big attraction with a Horn cabinet is the built-in lifter, I tested the lifter and it worked - exactly three times before it failed.
When this happened I was so bummed and figured I had gotten another bad deal ...my husband took pity on me and we took the lifter off, and then examined it. The lifter would stop at the first two lock p…

Just a photo of my 320K

Image
The non-working 320K, that is...

Found - Singer 320K-2 Electric #2

After discovering that my newly-purchased 320K was sold without the bracket for the bobbin case (a crucial part needed for the machine to be timed), I have been hunting for the part without success. Six local and international queries have been fruitless so far. This evening I found another 320K, this time working, and with a box of cams and unknown accessories - for half the price of the non-working first machine. Fingers crossed that this one is a success...

Machine: 1959 Singer 320K-2 Electric

Image
Yesterday I unexpectedly found my last wish list machine - an unusual free-arm zigzag machine in the prettiest shade of pale green!




I'm still too excited to write. More next week, I collect it on Saturday.

Machine: 1960 Singer 401G-13 Electric

Image
A wish-list machine has been found! For AU$100 I am the proud owner of a lovely German 401-13:


The machine was serviced in 2015 but still has a problem with zigzag stitches, I hope I can resolve the issue.